TRICARE Reserve Select
TRICARE Reserve Select (TRS) offers Reservists and National Guard Members health care coverage similar to TRICARE Extra or TRICARE Standard. The program is premium-based and also requires that you meet a deductible, make copayments and cost-share. Eligibility begins after TAMP coverage ends.
Beneficiaries get the comprehensive benefits of TRICARE Standard and TRICARE Extra
The program comes in two types of coverages: individual and family.
Benefits can be used anywhere in the world
- TRICARE Reserve Select covers these procedures:
- Routine, urgent and emergency care
- OB/GYN services
- Behavioral/mental health care
- Laboratory work
- X-ray services
- Medical equipment and supplies
- If a member becomes eligible for another TRICARE benefit while enrolled in TRICARE Reserve Select, their Reserve Select benefits will be suspended.
To be eligible for TRICARE Reserve Select, servicemembers must meet one of the three tier requirements:
Must have been called or ordered to active duty in support of a contingency operation for more than 30 consecutive days.
You are receiving unemployment, your employer does not offer health insurance, or you are self-employed.
You do not qualify for Tier 1 or 2, you are in the Selected Reserves, or you officially agree to serve in the Selected Reserves from the date that TRICARE Reserve Select coverage begins to the date it ends.
Furthermore, If you fall under Tier 2 or 3, you must:
- Apply for coverage when you first join the Selected Reserve or National Guard
Experience a Qualifying Life Event.
Follow these two steps to purchase TRICARE Reserve Select.