Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve
Highlights & Drawbacks
- Current servicemembers in the Selected Reserve:
- May receive more than $10,000 tax free.
- Pay nothing into the program in order to be eligible.
- Can receive benefits for up to 36 months.
- Have benefits paid directly to you.
- May use benefits for tuition, books and fees.
- Benefits can be used for:
- Certificate or diploma from a business, technical or vocational school
- Correspondence courses
- Cooperative training
- Independent-study programs
- Apprenticeships or on-the-job training
- Vocational flight training
- Overseas programs that lead to a college degree
- Remedial, refresher and deficiency training under certain circumstances.
In most cases after you leave the Selected Reserve, you are no longer eligible for these educational benefits.
Benefits cannot be used for living expenses.
Will not pay for a license or certification test needed for employment.
If you are eligible, AllMilitary.com can help you find schools where you can use your MGIB-SR benefits.