Hampton Roads VA
Hampton Roads, Virginia is made up dozens of towns and cities along the Virginia Peninsula. The metropolitan area of Hampton Roads has a population of approximately 1.7 million and is divided into five subs areas: Norfolk, Little Creek, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Yorktown. Each branch of the military is widely represented in Hampton Roads by the following bases:
- Fort Eustis is the home of the United States Army Transportation Corps and a 9,000 acre training facility.
- Fort Monroe is the last active military base of its kind in the United States and has been selected to close in September 2011. The major tenant of Fort Monroe is the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command.
- Langley Air Force Base houses the United States Air Force's 1st and 192nd Fighter Wings, 480th Intelligence wing, and headquarters of the Air Combat Command.
- Naval Station Norfolk is a base of the United States Navy and the World's Largest Naval Station. Naval Station Norfolk supports naval forces operating in the Atlantic Ocean, Mediterranean Sea, and Indian Ocean.
Hampton Roads is home to the Busch Gardens, Jamestown Settlement, Virginia Musical Theatre, Peninsula SPCA & Petting Zoo, the best schools in the state, and countless more amenities.
Relocating? Find jobs for veterans easily at AllMilitary Jobs.
Public & DoDDS Schools
There are nine school systems in Hampton Roads, VA and many are known as the best in the state. School districts near Fort Eustis, Fort Monroe, Langley Air Force Base, and Naval Station Norfolk are listed below.
Langley Air Force Base
- Hampton City Public Schools
- Newport News City Public Schools
- Poquoson City Public Schools
- York Country Public Schools
Naval Station Norfolk
Colleges and Universities
Prospective college students have more than 15 choices when considering calling Hampton Roads, VA home. When relocating or choosing a school it is important to consider the cost of the school and funding available. The Virginia's General Assembly's Budget does not include funding for tuition discounts at state universities and colleges for dependents of active duty personnel. Therefore full tuition will be charged to dependents who are not citizens of Virginia. Listed below are colleges and universities all within 40 miles of Fort Eustis, Fort Monroe, Langley Air Force Base, and Naval Station Norfolk.
- Atlantic University
- Christopher Newport University
- College of William and Mary
- Eastern Virginia Medical School
- Hampton University
- Johnson and Wales University
- Norfolk State University
- Old Dominion University
- Paul D. Camp Community College
- Regent University
- Thomas Nelson Community College
- Tidewater Community College
- Virginian Wesleyan College
Fort Eustis has family housing in a residential community, Balfour Beatty Communities, there are ten communities with over 950 houses. Barracks are available for single soldiers.
Fort Monroe has a limited number of government headquarters. There are 185 units available to all active duty personnel and their families.
Langley Air Force Base has 1,222 single enlisted soldier units and The Landing at Langley for on-post families.
Naval Station Norfolk For information please visit Naval Station Norfolk Website.
Hampton Roads, VA is very military oriented and thick in American History. With the best schools in the state and the largest concentration of military facilities in the world, Hampton Roads, VA is a great place to call home. According to CNN Money.com, the median home sale price for home in Hampton Roads, VA for 2008 ranged from $165,000 to $185,000 depending where the house was located in the metropolitan area.
A VA Loan provides many opportunities to get more out of your home investment. For instance, it is easier to qualify for VA loan than a conventional loan and in many instances there is no down payment needed. if you choose to go with off base housing check out VA Loan options in Hampton Roads, VA.