The Naval Air Station in Jacksonville, FL along the west bank of the St. John's River. The Naval Air Station is a multi-mission base that employs more than 17,000 active duty and civilian personnel and spans approximately 3,400 acres along the St. Johns River. Less than 10 miles from Jacksonville, FL is the Naval Station Mayport, the third largest fleet concentration area in the United States and a major United States Navy base.
There is much to do in the thirteenth most populous city America, Jacksonville, FL. The mild year round climates draw many to Jacksonville, FL to enjoy the historical sites such as Fort Caroline and St. Augustine, lakes, rivers, and sandy beaches, shopping, golf, tennis, deep-sea fishing and much more!
Relocating? Find jobs for veterans easily at Joe's Jobs.
Public & DoDDS Schools
The Duval County system in Jacksonville, FL is the largest fully accredited school system in the nation. Two school systems are near both the Naval Air Station Jacksonville and Naval Station Mayport:
There are no DoDDS schools in this area.
Colleges and Universities
Students at the NAS Jacksonville have many on-base programs available:
- Central Michigan University*
- Columbia College
- Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
- Florida Community College of Jacksonville*
- Navy College Learning Center
- Southern Illinois University*
- Webster University
*Indicates program is also available at Naval Station Mayport.
Additional on-base programs available at Naval Station Mayport:
- NAS Jacksonville has on base family housing community, the Balfour Beatty Community. There are four different neighborhoods with 533 houses. For more information visit http://www.nasjacksonvillehomes.com/.
- NS Mayport also has a Balfour Beatty Community with three neighborhoods and 1,165 homes. For more information visit http://www.nsmayporthomes.com/.
Forbes ranked Jacksonville, FL as the fourth best outdoor city and Yahoo! Real Estate ranked Jacksonville, FL as the third cleanest city in the United States for 2008. NAS Jacksonville and NS Mayport provide the community with a large military presence which is seen on and off base. The median sale price for a house in Jacksonville, FL for 2008 is $160,000 according to CNN Money.com.
A VA Loan provides many opportunities to get more out of your home investment. For instance, it is easier to qualify for VA loan than a conventional loan and in many instances there is no down payment needed. if you choose to go with off base housing check out VA Loan options in Jacksonville, FL.